My Latest Projects

Thursday, July 26, 2007

How to Get Burnt Popcorn Smell out of the Microwave

OK, I was upstairs in my scrapbook/office working on the computer and Hunter wanted some popcorn. I have let him make it himself before but this time I forgot we only had the small bags and I gave him the time of 3 minutes 30 seconds instead of the 1:30 that the small bag calls for.

I hear him put it in and I hear it popping, but didn't really think anything about it. THEN, he comes over to the base of the stairs with this smile on his face and says, " Mommy, the popcorn is still going, and it's doing something, you should come see!" He had never seen smoke like this and I am sure he had no idea that it was burning! I ran downstairs not knowing that it was burning until I turned the corner into the kitchen. OH MY HECK! There was smoke pouring out of the microwave! I did the wrong thing and opened the micro door. I should have just turned it off, but opening it makes it turn off.... here I am screaming,m OH MY GOSH it's BURNING!!! IT'S BURNING! I turned the vent fan on full blast, in the meantime Hunter went and hid in his closet, lol! I ran around the house closing all the doors to the rooms and opening up the outside doors and windows. Then I was calling for Hunter, I needed to get him out because I was coughing. I heard this little voice in his room and opened his closet door, there he was with a frightened look on his face. Poor little guy! We both ran outside with the dogs, poor hamster, she was probably hiding in her bed under the chips, lol!

While we were outside I told Hunter that it was a good thing to come get me but the next time, he needed to come get me and then GO OUTSIDE right away, not hide in his closet, I explained that if it was a real fire he could have been trapped inside. SOOOO, all in all it was a good learning experience for him. NOW, here I am on the internet to find out how to get that nasty smell out of my microwave! Maybe this will help someone else!

Eeeew! What is that? How can I get it out?


  1. Take a new sponge and a small bucket of water.
  2. Wipe down the entire inside of the microwave.
  3. Then place a bowl of water in the microwave for a few minutes. 5-6 minutes should be fine.
  4. Wipe out the microwave again with new water.
  5. Cook some strong smelling food in the microwave. Vegetables, pizza, etc.
  6. Wipe out the microwave again.
  7. Let it open for a while.
  8. Repeat steps 1-4 and 6-7 as many times as it takes.

Alternate Method

  1. Get a non-metallic bowl and fill with fresh lemon juice.
  2. Put it in the microwave for more than 5 minutes.
  3. Wipe down your microwave.
  4. Get more fresh lemon juice and do it again.


  • Any Citrus fruit will do, such as lemon, lime or orange, as will vinegar.


  • Never use household cleaning products in a microwave because even microparticles of it could start a fire if not cleaned out for at least a few days.
  • Never put a metallic object in the microwave. It will blow your microwave up.

Things You'll Need

  • Lemon
  • Non metallic bowl
  • microwave
  • Cloth

OK, and I like this one too... I like the idea of dropping some sort of cool extract in the water. The thing I did wrong that I now know is that I wiped it with Clorox wipes instead of just water and paper towel. Hope my food doesn't get too many cleaning chemicals in it :|

Getting Rid of that Burnt Popcorn Smell in the Microwave

To get rid of this awful lingering stink, fill as large
microwave-safe bowl with one cup of water and sprinkle
your favorite spice like cinnamon or add several drops of
vanilla or lemon extract. Bring to a boil. You must let
it sit inside for 10 to 15 minutes to cool down. Simply
wipe the walls down with paper towels. Leave the door open
to further air it out.

1 comment:

"Kreative Karma" said...

So I see on my blog feeder that this is a very popular search topic! If you have tried one of these methods let me know if it worked for you by posting a comment here.

Unfortunately our microwave was burned inside and left yellow stains inside, BUT the smell did go away eventually! There is hope! LOL!