My Latest Projects

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Family Flip Blocks

Well, lots of people have been asking me about the project I did for the TLC convention and how I did it. SO here are the instructions...


Materials:
1 wooden flip alphabet. You can get these on eBay

1 Runway - Caroline Collection -Circles Kit, Retail Price: $8.95

1 Family - Memory Gems, Retail Price: $5.95

1 Arrows/Brackets - Memory Gems Retail Price: $5.95

1 Singles/Rows - Memory Gems Retail Price: $5.95

1 Caroline Collection - Drizzle Outerwear Retail Price: $8.95

2 Caroline Collection - Rub-ons, Retail Price: $7.95

1 or 2 Sparkle Rub-on letters, depending on how many of each letter you need for names. Retail Price: $9.95

You can find all of these things on my Breezy website at http://mybreezyshop.com/faithsisters/

You also need:

-Mod Podge by Plaid, I used the Acid Free Matte for paper, it's in a blue bottle, you can get it at a craft store. You will use this to adhere ALL of the paper and photos to the blocks. You will also put a coat of it over everything when you are done.
-Red Paint for the block edges.
-Light Yellow Paint for the little anchors that hold the toy together
-Brown Ink, to ink the edges of the blocks

QUOTE(Adriane H. @ Jul 25 2007, 09:13 PM) *

Adriane: KARMA THIS IS F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!!!

HOW did you get the circle so perfectly cut and aligned?

Karma: This is from our diecut circles... I just took the squares off of the frame and bunched the squares together and set the circle die where I wanted it. Then I took my exacto knife and cut it where the edges met. Then I mod podged it onto the block.

IPB Image

Adriane: HOW did you get the paper all the way around each cube? Do you have to take the cube out or just cut the paper to the size of each of the 4 sides and glue it on?

Karma: I took all the squares off and I painted them all dark red. I actually also rubbed them with Radiant Pearls and then dipped them in embossing powder and heated the powder on. It gives it a shiny look, but I noticed the embossing was pealing off, so you can just paint the block edges. To get the paper on the blocks I just measured them and cut the paper out to the size I needed and mod podged it on. I snaded the edges and then inked the edges. It made a great finished look.


Adriane: HOW come my projects never look this professional??!! dry.gif

Karma: LOL, this was a spur of the moment decision to do this. A week before convention when I was unpacking my sb room and found the letter flipper that I had wanted to do this with for a long time. And since it was for the contest, I spent a LOT of time on it, like over 17 hours!

Adriane: Keep the ideas flowin' like the salmon of Capistrano...as my buddy Jim Carey would say!!

Karma: HAHAHA, I love Jim Carey quotes! "That's it, I've had it with this dump! We got no food, we got no jobs, our pet's heads are falling off!!"

1 comment:

Sunny said...

I am so proud of you and think it is an amazing project!!